the poultry project

Saving the Planet One Ziploc Bag at a Time

August 11th, 2008

Hello all. It’s Sunday and Emily and I are preparing for our trip to Uganda. We fly out of Boston tomorrow and arrive in Entebbe, Uganda on Tuesday evening. From there, we will travel to the Cure Hospital in Mbale, Uganda on Wednesday.
We have been advised by the Poultry Project’s founder and our lovely sister, Kelly Flamos, to keep our expectations to a reasonable level. So, after a long a conversation, Emily and I have decided that if we accomplish nothing else during our stay, we would like to, at the very least, save the planet.
In furtherance of that humble goal, Emily has come out of the gates firing on all cylinders. She is applying a machine-like methodology to her packing. Each of her bags is exactly fifty pounds, perfectly square, and consists of individually numbered one-gallon baggies filled with clothes, toiletries, and gifts. I cannot be sure why the bags are numbered, but like an Enron shareholder I will blindly trust the legitimacy of such a complicated system.
”Emily

FacebookTwitterGoogle GmailPrintFriendlyShare

9 Responses to “Saving the Planet One Ziploc Bag at a Time”

1. Colin says:

Well, my comment is not going to be as good or as informative as the comment posted on Aug. 7.
    But I do want share my excitement with you on your upcoming journey. Kelly and I are so proud that you are taking this important step in greatly enriching the lives of the children you will meet. You will no doubt gain as much as you give. Just try not give away any of the movies posted from the comment-portion of the Aug. 7 blog entry. That would be weird.

2. joe says:

sweet jesus, look at all that clutch bonus room floor space! So, by extension, is it safe to say the bonus room is saving the planet?

3. Carly says:

Well, former roommates…I wish you the absolute best in the coming weeks. I truly look up to both of you, and I couldn’t be more excited for you two. I miss the fun times we had in that glorious apartment at 9 Stillman Street, and I miss you two! Love and tenderness…

4. Mary Grace Pavlick says:

Dear Joe and Emily. We want to wish you the best on your African adventure. How amazing it must be to be involved in such a charitable project. We are so very proud of you and we are sure our heavenly Father is pleased. He will reward you for your good deeds. Just ask Him for what you need and it will be yours.
    We missed having you at our anniversary party. It was awesome. Our house was in a state of turmoil when everyone was here, but you know me, I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. God bless you and your mission. Grandma and Pappap

5. Greg says:

This is fantasic. I was so excited to see the email and blog. Its great to hear. How can I get my 7th graders, parents involved? Hope you all are doing well!!
    Greg Zugrave
    International School of Monterey CA

6. Dad says:

Emily and Joe…By now you are probably in Uganda. How exciting and special!! I’m so proud of you! I’ve forwarded the blog address to everyone I know (well not literally EVERY SINGLE PERSON I KNOW) but you know what I mean! Anyhow, I will be following your efforts daily. Good luck and God Bless you! (I wish I was there…REALLY!) Love DAD

7. Joe and Baby says:

Baby and I would like to request a “Hey, we’re here and alive” post. Whenever you get to it, of course. While vacationing, it’s not like you’re dodging the LRA or carrying out humanitarian missions so whenever it’s convenient really. And Em, Baby is a wee bit jealous of your packing rigor. Oh, and Joe – oddly bonusroom.com has been scooped up but if we want to fire up that non-profit, bonusroom.org is all ours.

8. mark & joann says:

May God be with you and bless you .You are saving the world
    It’s done in ” baby steps”. Thank you both for your
    courage and compassion in taking those steps.
    p.s. Joe it’s called talcum powder… use it liberally!

9. mikaela says:

That’s a very sweet thing..The world really needs you..It’s such a heart warming and overwhelming that you guys do such project to paint smiles on the faces of those little angles there..God Bless…